another dumb seedling question

As I'm looking at the my sedlings I've got one that's nearly white, a goner
for sure.  But it made me wonder about mature hostas that are viridescent.
Do they start out fairly white and just manage by luck to survive long
enough for the viridescent tendancy to kick in and start producing
chlorophyll?  Or do they start out as green seedlings and as they mature
emerge lighter in spring?
Joanne
jopyz@earthlink.net