Re: Preferred Grower

In a message dated 12/9/1998 7:53:30 PM Central Standard Time,
AMBERWAVEGARDEN@webtv.net writes:

<<
 I am bent out of shape over the phrase Preferred Grower. The rules set
 by the AHS has nothing to do with being a grower, only a seller, Oh what
 a door that has opened for every mass marketer of hosta. >>

What I find puzzling about the Preferred Growers policy of the American Hosta
Society(besides those items enumerated by Gary) is that the policy was
formulated by the Scientific Committee of the AHS. As a former but long time
member of the Board, I do not think that Committee has any business dealing
with the selling of hostas in the way that this policy does. I do not think
the AHS as a whole has any authority under its own By-Laws to issue such a
policy, no matter what committee formulates it.
Certainly the AHS can recommend that hostas be registered. BUT to give special
favors to sellers (that is, to eliminate competiton) who comply with the
policy and at the same time deprive the public from having knowledge of
sources for some great hostas, strikes me as a gross violation of the mission
of the AHS and its By-Laws.

My basic point is that the AHS should stay out of the business of trying to
regulate the marketplace. Perhaps it would behoove the AHS rather to seek
remedies for foliar nematodes and viruses.

There is one other point I should like to add: Many are under the impression
that the International Authority for the Registration of the Genus Hosta is
SOLELY the University of Minnesota. This is not accurate. It is a JOINT
authority. Whatever funds are received by the Registrar are jointly held by
the Registrar AND the AHS.

Clyde Crockett z5