Annual Hosta Convention

In a message dated 12/14/98 10:57:42 PM Eastern Standard Time, CCREDUX@aol.com
writes:

<< The one thing I find somewhat distressing is the policy that write-ups on
tour
 gardens can occupy only one page. Having been the editor, I know why this
 policy was instituted=Most of such articles are BORRRRRRRRRRING. But some
 authors have some interesting comments that are now edited out.

 What did you all think of the Convention coverage? >>

Like you Clyde, I haven't had the time to read all of the articles, however, I
DID read the fine article written by one Clyde Crockett, and enjoyed it a
lot....I wondered why  the articles were all one page as I really hoped yours
would carry over to the next page - but no such luck..  Being a first year
hosta-ite (Does that make me a rookie too?) I was not aware of the "Rule of
Limitations", but I guessed that was the case.
Anyway, I think the "editors" should have the freedom to extend the well
written articles and leave more of the bad ones on the "cutting room floor."

I think the color photos in the journal are absolutely GREAT - and they are
also depressing..  Great because they are all of excellent quality, but more
than that, they make me want to buy the latest in newly released hostas, but
depressing because I get"sticker shock" when I see the prices of most of the
new releases....and I realize it will be another year of scrounging the small
garden centers looking for a misplaced gem, and going home with another
scrawny old "Golden Standard" or Plantagenwhatever...

Also, the very technical writeups on the newest ways to do TC'ing or other
articles written by and for those people that understand the molecular
difference between an iridescent and luminescent plant are WAYYYYYYYYYYY over
my head, so those can be DEEP SIXED as far as I'm concerned..

I alsoo like reading stories written about other gardeners focusing on what
hostas they put with other hostas and why they look good together, or even why
they may not have looked so good with a certain variety.  Right now, I have
about 75 plants that I have put in the ground with no rime or reason other
than I had a spot over there and I needed to fill it - so the next hosta in my
garden goes there.

In other words, I'm flying by the seat of my pants...

So there you are Clyde.  You asked for a response and I got carried away
again.

Ronnie