Re: Rare Hostas

In a message dated 12/19/98 7:19:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sussextreeinc@ce.net writes:

<< These are just some of the things you can do to raise your hosta I.Q. >>

Well, let's see if I can remember some of those ideas for learning more about

I have joined the AHS, and have read the two journals I have received cover
tpo cover.
I have been active in the hosta-open robin, reading all posted EMails and have
even attempted to add a few things myself.
I do not know how to tell if a nursery specializes in hostas, but I have been
to many nurseries that carry in the hundreds of varieties.
I have actively traded with anyone that needs something that I have, except
that you must remember, I have no "established" plants, nor rare, nor exotic
(Well, I DO have H '"Tattoo") if that qualifies, so it is difficult to trade
what you don't have.
I have "accumulated" about 65 varieties in my first year of hosta'ing, but all
are small.
I read and re-read hosta catalogs, and use them for reference.
I have read George Schmid's "The Genus Hosta".  (Not sure I understand it all
I will probably never go to hosta college in Ohio.
I am considering joining a very significant local hosta society, the Minnesota
chapter, though I am not big on going to meetings..  I went to my share of
meetings during a 30 year career with IBM, many in the local office, but many
all over the country.  I am meeting'ed out!
I can't talk to someone about hostas every day, cause my wife does not care
for hostas, and the lady next door, who has about 400 varieties in her yard,
may get tired of me if I show up at her door every day -  not to mention the
eyebrows that might raise.

That's about all I can think of right now...