Re: More Comments on Wayside's Catalog

In a message dated 12/20/98 10:18:26 AM Central Standard Time,
ranbl@netsync.net writes:

<< Ronnie
 The average price is around 7.50.  We list it for 5.00 >>
When you grow the plants your self the price is lower, but if you have to buy
the plant from a wholesaler, then the price must be higher. The whole sale
price for Kabitan runs around $3.50. So any one that buys in this plant must
pot it up in a larger container and grow it out for a while plus water and
heat the green house.
That is why your big chains do not carry the better Hosta or if they do they
are loss leaders were they make up there money on other plants like charging
7-9 dollars for the fortunei cultivars.
 In the last three years there has been a good influx of really good Hosta
into the market at a price that most people can afford, this should generate
more interest in Hosta and increase sales across the board.

Now back to your Kabitan. This Hosta has been around for a while and is a good
spreader so if you as grower have had the plant for a while you should have a
good number of divisions. If you do not have any Kabitan or only a few plants
your price would be higher.
 For me last year I had to many 'Moonlight' so I sold them for 5 dollars a
plant and the same with 'Sugar and Cream' but this year I do not have so many
plants so their price has gone back up to 10 dollars for a one gallon sized
plant. This year I have to many 'Gold Standard' So it's price will be low low.
This is the advany=tage of growing a lot of your own plants. While the big
operations and the chains cannot do this.  They must start their prices high
in the spring and lower them as the season progresses.