Re: "AND ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST" a song

In a message dated 12/02/1999 1:00:21 PM Central Standard Time,
halinar@open.org writes:

<<
 The question I have is, how many genes can you inject and still claim
 you have the original species?  Even if you inject one gene is that
 transgenetic plant a new species?  What's going to be more intersting
 is when they start injecting genes into human DNA!

 Joe Halinar

The trans-species migration of genes is as old as life, The grouping of
plants into species is not as cut and dry as it is with animals.  With many
plant populations the result of hybridization and the accumulation of genes
from out side of the species.

As long as a population is able to produce viable progeny that is more or
less physiologically the same as the parents we would be safe in calling
these plants the same species.

So called gene therapy is all ready being studied and practiced in humans in
regards so some forms of genetic defects. I cannot at this time be more
specific without possibly making a mistake in my reference.

I believe that the manipulation of human DNA is a moral issue more than it is
a safety issue. We are not going to make monsters or destroy our selves with
DNA manipulation.

Life has adapted to it's environment and changed the environment, producing a
balance of genetic expression that is suited for the survival of the species
(a breeding population) Genetic engineering like other forms breeding-weather
natural or human induced -- might produce some plants and animals more suited
for survival thus able to supplant preexisting forms.  But I believe it will
be more like genetic mutations that as a rule make plants and animals less
fit to cope with the natural world.

Paul