Re: "AND ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST" a song

Joe,

Ouch.  The question of what constitutes a species is already unanswerable.
I suppose if the engineered plant no longer can cross with the original
species it would be a new species.  In horticultural crops the species
concept can loose meaning anyway.  Is Zea maize (corn) really a species?
Personally, I will leave such questions to people that worry about
systematics.

Genetic engineering of Humans.  Why not walk on fire.  The ethical questions
are of primary importance here, but what if your family consistently
produces children that get Alzheimer's at a young age.  There is a gene that
can be inserted to prevent this (hypothetical at this time, but probably not
for long)   --  should you abstain from having children or attempt to cure a
genetic problem using genetic engineering in your gene line.  Even more
difficult to answer.  What if a gene from plants or bacteria is found that
prevents plaque from forming in human arteries (would be the end of the most
common form of heart disease).  Is it ethical to put this gene into the
human genome?  I am not looking for answers to these questions, but only
pointing out how knotty the ethical problems are going to get.

Jim Anderson