Genes

You that are talking of putting a daylilie flower on a hosta, please stop to
consider what a daylilie blossom looks like the day after. Unless you wish to
deadhead each evening just imagine what the hosta foliage will look like
within a few days. Those slimy, dripping old flowers will mark and spoil the
true beauty of the host, its leaves. If you want a daylilie flower why not
just grow a daylilie?

A little more about the red genes. Anthocyanin pigment develops when the part
of the plant is exposed to the sun. I think I understand this correctly. Once
the temperature becomes to high we loose the red. In reading about the
Chinese primrose we learn that it flowers red if the bud is formed below 86
degrees but above that temperature the flower is white. Can we draw a
conclusion that 86 is about the time that the red in our hostas begin to
disappear?
Just looking for future information.
Mary