This Week

I now have a better understanding of how Columbus crossed the ocean in 1492.
Yesterday a pleasing wind of 18 to 22 mph seemed to offer pleasant working
conditions until I discovered what that little old breeze could do to a piece
of plastic measuring 48 feet by 100 feet. Roy and I were covering what I call
growing house number one. As the wind caught the plastic I could imagine how
the sails would whip on a ship. My first thought was that the noise in a
storm would soon cause deafness. My second thought was I would not want to
endure such an experience. Even after tying the material down in several
places the wind continued to pick it up, slam it down and of course always
move it from the position which I wanted it to be. We soon learned to work
between the stronger gusts. This experience has caused me to decided that it
may be necessary to stray from my interest in genes and transfer to
aerodynamics. There are four more houses to cover. Covering houses is one of
my least favorite things that has to be done each year. Seems such a lot of
work to put it on now and then take it off in a few months but at least my
skills are improving and the required time is much less than the first year
we tried. Since today's temperature was in the seventies I may get even more
practice. By 9 AM the doors had to be opened to allow the wind to move the
heat outside.

Now Joe I really like your idea of putting hosta leaves on a daylilie. After
all the daylilie foliage was never anything to brag about anyway. That must
mean you could not lose. HA

Joe and Jim thanks for the instructions. Now if you can provide me with the
needed information of which hosta has the temperature resistant genes, etc.,
I will begin to plan my program for 2000 otherwise I think you have taught me
enough that I can decide to just continue my blundering ways. Why take the
fun out of going into the garden and looking around to decide which plant has
characteristics that will complement another? One day a friend came by as I
was spreading pollen. He asked my sister what I was doing. Her reply was that
she had been watching for days and had decided that one of my personalities
was that of a giant bumblebee. She had no idea what the object was but she
could depend on finding me conducting the same operation each day. By leaving
the science to you that understand it I can continue to dream of what each
cross will produce five year later.

Our Chattanooga Regional Hosta Society met today for the annual Christmas
Party. Its hard to believe the quality of food supplied by that group. Their
pleasure is shown by the effort made to bring the most attractive and best
tasting foods. For example just one effort was that today we had a cake
topped with a hosta plant made from white candy which had been delicately
colored. Shortly after our society organization one member suggested that
being a good cook should be a prerequisite to becoming a member. Sometimes I
think she must be screening the group.

The X files are continuing to intrigue me so I had to pot a few more. There
are now several lemon colored ones that have a patten leather finish. Some of
the red petioles are already disappearing but others are hanging in there and
developing blotches. So some of the X files have the measles.

The PC was in the shop for two days this week. It has what they call a
locking problem which it seem they can't fix. I had forgotten just how much
work I could get done before the days of AHS Robin. I think it may be
necessary to budget my time as I don't want to become the wife that received
Email from her husband telling her how the children were growing and that
since he had sent the last email to her he had had a promotion. He finished
by saying he would write again in three months as usual. I have one problem
with this Roy doesn't write Email.
Happy Holidays,
Mary