Biobarrier root control material

Carol Brashear wrote:
"Hi,
Eva Jones was selling plant bags a few years back that were supposed to
prevent the invasion of tree roots.  She and her father Art used them
when
they did hosta beds at the famous topiary gardens (which name escapes me
now...Ladue or something).  I haven't been there to see the results but
Dan
Nelson may have been there.  Dan...?  I just put one plant in a large
size
bag last summer so I really can't comment on its effectiveness yet."
====================================
Carol,

I must have missed the meeting or was not paying attention when Eva and
Arthur were talking about root control bags. Here is a product designed
for root control, but I am sure it is not the one you are talking about.
This one uses a time released herbicide in place of the copper you
mentioned.

The use of in ground, herbicide impregnated fabric containers holds
great promise for hosta gardeners who garden under trees with aggressive
roots. (IMO)

There is a product called Biobarrier that is a landscape fabric
impregnated with herbicide that time releases over a period as long as
15 years. Biobarrier is used to stop the intrusion of tree roots under
sidewalks, roads, houses, garden beds etc.

In the nursery trade "pots" are made for growing large trees while
containing the roots in a given area for later digging. These pots can
be as large as 96 inches across and several feet deep. The goal is to
achieve a compact root zone so that more of the tree roots make it from
the field to the end planting site. These pots are made in various sizes
by a secondary manufacturer.

Here is a link to the Biobarrier web site:

http://www.gardenweb.com/isolite/biobarr.html#biobarr1

Sorry, I do not have a source at hand for the finished pots.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7
SussexTreeInc@ce.net