Re: Troublesome Hostas

"Kathy W. Miller" wrote:

> 'Jade Cascade'
>   I have given up on
> 'Wide Brim".  'Wide Brim' is so puckered that when the leaves open up,
> the edges tear.  Is this a nutritional problem or just a bad hosta?

The problem you are having sounds a lot like draw string. I have a Northern
Halo and a Snowcap doing the same thing. I also have a Snowcap I planted
next to the problem one that is perfectly fine. Northern Halo seems to have
this problem often. My belief is: something is lost on certain cultivars
when they are tissue cultured. These problems can't be seen when they are
juvenile. So the line is continued, with thousands of these aberrations
being released into the market.

My Wide Brim is just fine. I have a good and a bad Snowcap. There are about
12 versions of Northern Halo sold by Wade. So, where does this all lead? I
would think on certain cultivars "Originator Stock" would be money well