Maintaining Streaked Breeding Hostas

This subject was tossed around a bit on the HostaPix listserve. Some
were recommending dividing of the hosta as often as every two years to
prevent the loss of the valuable streaked portion. I have a 12 division
Breeders Choice and at least a third has lost it's streaks. It is
interesting to note that the streaks extend up the seed stalk and right
into the seed pods themselves. It is these streaked stalks and pods that
are supposed to return the highest percentage of variegated seedlings.

I know this is old hat to many on this list. The main point I as trying
to make is that these breeding hostas do require some maintenance. I
know a fellow who has a 10 division streaked 'Fragrant Bouquet' that has
stabilized in all but two of it's divisions. This hosta was cut to
single divisions this fall. It this was not done, the whole plant may be
stable in a year or two.

This is a new area for me. I hope to dig my 'Breeders Choice' this
weekend and divide it to single divisions. If I had divided this hosta
before it's leaves died this fall, I could have left larger parts of the
hosta crown attached to the most desirable leaves.

Thanks,

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7