But you gotta hear what I did! harvest time

In a message dated 12/11/1999 9:13:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ranbl@netsync.net writes:

<< It is even worse here.  In NY one can get a permit to "harvest deer"(fine
 with me)  Harvest firewood and cut logs, on state land.  Under no
 circumstances, can one get a permit to dig ferns of any kind.  This despite
 the fact, that the forest only supports ferns at certain stages(they die
 out as the forest becomes to dense.  When loggoing , the large machinery
 rips up and kills hundreds of smaller forest plants, but my pointing this
 out to state authorities and seeking a permit to salvage some, (I am
 willing to pay for this) has brought a resounding "no chance" !!
 Ran

ran,
we used to have an agreement with nc paper, one of the pulp growers in
coastal n c, to go in and remove "pesky" sarracenia and orchids.  the paper
co. would use roundup on everything that was not a paper producer, but were
kind enough to let us collect, with permission, and the necessary
disclaimers, etc.
(btw, major paper growers maintain a database of all their properties, and
sometimes grant permission to collect from these sites)
although both are "endangered", we got in trouble for outplanting them into
wet ditches goin to our respective home states, (this was a far ranging group
that met).  the "smarts" behind this was that these plants didnt have a
"historical (white peoples field notes)basis" for their new locations.  even
when we cited "gaps" in a population range, the officials said "no way."
seems we were just another "dispersal method" like the old wind,  bird and
animal fur.  sarracenia just "stuck " to us, and fell off later.
nice horror stories about "removing" tillandsias from parking lots in the
keys also.

have a wonderful holiday, everybody.

harry abel
former plant hunter