Re: Hosta Scapes in sugar water

I was curious so I decided to try cutting a green scape from
a hosta and then placing it in sugar water to see if the pods
would continue to ripen.  After a couple of sugar water changes
I lost interest.  It had been tried and proven to work so why
be redundant.  Rather than let the scape die prematurely, I let
it sit there, in just plain water.  The plant was Wm. Lachman which
if maintained will give streaked seedlings.  (Reference: On-going
discussion on hosta open about streaked breeders)  There was a fine white
line going up the scape but from experience I find these do not always
give the best variegated seedlings if at all.  This all started in
mid-summer.  Now, just out of laziness or lack of interest, or because I
felt there would probably not be any variegated seedlings from this
scape, it has been in this state, in water (changed occasionally) until
today.  I decided to see if there were any ripe seeds.  Yes there were.
Not only did it have ripe seeds, they had germinated!  Some even had
tiny leaves.  Now I know what Mary must go through trying to separate
the tiny rooted seedlings from the pod.  These pods had not split or
opened but one seed which had germinated had three strands of roots
already formed.  I have planted these little plants and will see if
they continue to grow.

I thought this was quite interesting although helpful in any way I doubt.
I will pose this question:  Do we really need sugar water, for seeds to
mature if scapes are cut from the plant early, or just plain water?
Not only did my seeds ripen but even germinated in plain water!

Beth Arnold