Re: Pix in Library

>But if you have spent a lot of time and money building a collection
>of pictures to sell hostas, letting a competitor use them because
>they don't want to take the time or expense is something else.

You bring up a good point.  However, from a practical point of view it
is going to be difficult to prove that a particular image on the
Internet is YOUR image unless you have it copyrighted, and even that
may not to be all that easy.  I can take an image, crop it a bit,
adjust the color and otherwise manipulate it so that it would be
difficult for you to prove your ownership.  And who is going to go to
court over a hosta image that someone else uses?  I'm sure there are
people who will use other peoples images.  One way to to make it
difficult is to add "Photo by your name" to the image in such a way
that it can't be cropped off without messing up the image and yet
doesn't interfer with the visual appearance of the image.  It is
possible to edit out the added text, but that requires a LOT of
painstaking work.  You can also micromanipulate some individual pixels
somewhere where it can't be cropped out and put in some code like your
initials, or last name that can only be seen under magnification.
However, this would require an image with a fairly high pixel count so
that it wouldn't be noticable with the naked eye.

Joe Halinar