Re: baking dirt

In a message dated 12/22/99 9:53:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, HIEESML@aol.com
writes:

<<
 I have some questions. Is it OK to recycle your pro-mix? Is this when you
 bake it (when it has been previously used)? Should I discard used mix and
 bake fresh?

I wish I could find this pro mix brand, is it a brand?

Recycle, I wouldn't think so, not for seedlings anyway.  I am going to dump
mine on the ground after repotting the seedlings into cel-paks.

The first mix that I tried was Ferti-Loam potting soil and it grew major
green slime.  That went into the trash.  The last mix that I bought had
pieces of bark and charcoal and was coarse and more porous.  Hardly any green
stuff growing after two weeks and I have three varieties of seedlings coming
up.

Like I said before at least I am not killing orchids this winter, I just have
two phalenopsis that have survived and doing well.

Later,
Narda