Re: baking dirt

At 09:47 PM 12/22/99 EST, you wrote:

>I have some questions. Is it OK to recycle your pro-mix? Is this when you
>bake it (when it has been previously used)? Should I discard used mix and
>bake fresh?

Layne,
 Never recycle Pro-Mix, sterilized or not. Texture changes too much during
use to make it healthy for new plants. I'd consign it to the compost heap
and buy new stuff.

Narda, Pro-Mix is a soilless mix used a lot by nurserymen, composed of
peat, vermiculite and perlite. It's often available in a 3 cu ft bale from
garden centers. Also available by mail, at least from Hummert.  If you use
it, it must be moistened and fluffed just like peat moss. I use it straight
from the bale and sometimes amend with extra perlite, depending on the
plants I'm potting up. As with all peat-based soilless mixes, don't pack
too tight into the pot.

Gerry