  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Subject: W32/NewApt Worm Bears Watching
  • From: TedWhite1@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 09:55:34 EST
Good Morning Everyone,

The W32/NewApt worm is a new e-mail worm that was discovered on 12/14/99 and
has been given the designation, "High Risk" by McAfee. The worm arrives as an
e-mail attachment. So, once again, the key point is not to open the
attachment. What follows is some basic material that will help to explain
what this virus is all about. If you wish to read further, please go to the
McAfee website:

The body of the email appears differently depending on whether the email
client reads HTML. If it does, the email text looks like this:

Hypercool Happy New Year 2000 funny programs and animations...

We attached our recent animation from this site in our mail ! Check it out

If the email client is not HTML-capable, the message reads:

"he, your lame client cant read HTML, haha. click attachment to see some
stunningly HOT stuff"

The worm is in the attachment, which has a name chosen randomly from the
following list:

baby.exe, bboy.exe, boss.exe, casper.exe, chestburst.exe, cooler1.exe,
cooler3.exe, copier.exe, cupid2.exe, farter.exe, fborfw.exe, goal.exe,
goal1.exe, g-zilla.exe, irngiant.exe, hog.exe, monica.exe, panther.exe,
panthr.exe, party.exe, pirate.exe, s.exe, saddam.exe, theobbq.exe, video.exe.

If the worm is run, the following dummy error message appears:

The dinamic link library giface.dll could not be found in the specified path
[list of directory names]

Note the misspelling of the word "dynamic".

If the worm detects that Outlook Express is installed, it will search for
messages received and build a list of addresses. The next time Windows is
booted, the worm waits an unspecified amount of time and then attempts to
send itself to one of the addresses in its list, using the format described

I hope all your computers are now protected with anti-virus software.

Ted White
Daylily List Co-owner