Re: baking dirt

In a message dated 12/27/1999 11:29:51 PM Central Standard Time,
HIEESML@aol.com writes:

<< Should I back off my 24hour light routine?       No, keep it up until they
can go outside.

     Should I begin fertilizing them?   Yes, we use half-strength Miracle
Grow or something similar, and if you have SuperThrive use it every other
time you water.

     What type and strength of fertilizer should I use.  (See last answer)

     Should I transplant them so the roots don't become to entangled?  Transpl
anting seems to encourage them to grow faster in my experience.  I first move
them to cell-packs (like annuals come in) when they have 3 or 4 leaves.  Then
about once a month, if they are growing well, I move them to a slightly
bigger pot.  When you move them up, try to gently remove as much soil as
possible from the roots and then firm the plant into the soil in the new
container.  This also seems to stimulate faster growth.

     Should I use a different medium if I transplant?  I don't think it makes
a lot of difference - it's just personal preference.

     Should I stick with the Peters and begin fertilizing?

     Should I just let you come and do this for me?  No, it's very rewarding.
 You will be "hooked" as soon as you get going.  Then the problem becomes
what to do with all the new "babies".

     Should I give this whole thing up and leave you poor people alone?  Keep
asking, that's how you'll learn.

Best of luck to you,
Bev Stegeman