Auction & Internet-Library Hosta Society

To all involved in this auction and the thought of the Internet-Library
Hosta Society:  my kudos all around.

     Some philosophical statements to start:

     Having been around hosta and hosta people since, a long time ago, at
     least 1955, then with my parents, and ultimately my mother Pauline
     Banyai, watching the growth of interest in hosta, I would like to put
     some things in perspective.

     Trying to get the Michigan Hosta Society started in the late 1970's,
     the problem my mother faced was people's time commitments and
     communications tools. What a challenge, I remember starting out 2-3
     years before we actually met, trying to get people over our house to
     organize. Finally met one Sunday afternoon and the rest is history.
     Then in 1986 I was asked by her and Alex Summers to try and put some
     order into the AHS National Meeting Auction in Columbus Ohio, which
     again had lots of interest but few organized volunteers.

     Mom and I kept the AHS National auction going organizationally until
     she passed away in 1992 and then when I had too much international
     travel I passed it on in 1997 to the present group. Many memorable
     events ,but not without much work.

     Now the thought of having a library funded and maintained through this
     e-auction, all done by volunteers for the sole purpose of promoting
     the visual impact of hosta through photos, through a communications
     medium that we are just starting to tap:

     I can't wait until we can view videotapes through the INTERNET. I have
     many,  many to offer, as some of you have seen. But the best is yet to
     come.

     THEN the idea of sharing info over the INTERNET!!!!

     Sounds too good to be true. If my mother was alive she would have a
     dire problem come spring: how do I keep in touch with my INTERNET
     friends and still get outside in the garden.

     I say let the fun began and start off 2000 with this group dedicated
     to sharing in the true friendship plant of the perennial shade
     gardener : hosta.

     Best regards to all, bruce banyai