Re: Interesting statistics...now Phoenix and lists

At 06:12 PM 12/30/99 EST, you wrote:

>This has probably been discussed before, but... I'd sure love to hear what
>methods you all use to keep track of your hostas and also your other
plants.
>Besides this new database of Ken's, I have different spreadsheets for:
>Trees/Shrubs/Vines, Perennials, Plants I Want to Try,  Books I Own,  and
>finally...Books I've Read But Don't Own (with comments to remind me if
it's a
>book I'd want to buy for my  'library'  :) and then maps that always seem to
>be in need of updating.  And another question...do you keep track of
>different information for your other plants than you do for your hostas?

Boy, Cindy...and I thought I was bad! I also have my hosta database on
MSWorks. Would prefer Excel, but don't wanna pop the big bucks for it. Have
a separate list for hostas I want, which includes  columns for who carries
it and how much.  That was when Spring rolls around I can be sure and order
a few from all the people I like to order from..

I also keep a database for my perennial salvias that has columns for
reported hardiness plus a place for notes on actual hardiness here at my
place. It's nice to have the hardiness data because come fall I can sort
the records by low temp and get a list of when to bring in what.  Since a
lot of the Salvias don't come true from seed, I also have to number
volunteer seedlings and observe them to see if I want to propagate them
vegetatively.

I keep a database on my tropical hibiscus that includes among other things,
parentage (from the AH(ibiscus)S records).  All the seedlings resulting
from crosses that I have made are numbered. I include date of first bloom,
color, bloom size and of course, parents.

Thank God I don't breed hostas too.

Gerry