Re: Lancifolia

In a message dated 12/30/1999 11:41:05 PM Central Standard Time,
NardaA@aol.com writes:

<<  I always recommend "looking on lancifolia with fondness" early in the
  season, as they soon become a "fond memory"  (Slugsyouknow!)
  Ran >>

As the years go by I like lancifolia more and more-great plant as an edging
used or a ground cover - fast and easy to grow-lots of flowers late in the
summer.

If you want a little more color early in the year-you can grow 'Chinese
Sunrise' and by summer it's hard to tell the two apart.

For those that just want a cheep plant to grow as a ground cover in a shady
place-can't do much better than lancifolia, I keep it around because I sell a
lot of it for people that do not care what a Hosta is but want something to
fill in a large area and they do not want to pay an arm and a foot.

The only place I have had problems with slugs on it is when it is grown
around small rocks or along a woods edge.
The slugs do go after it, but no more than the white centered plants, deer do
eat it, but they go after the 'Honeybell's first.

Lancifolia might not have a place in the Hosta "Collection" but it does have
a place in landscaping.

Paul