Re: new kid on the block

See there Ran, and I didn't even have to say anything! As I have often
heard you say, various hostas perform differently even in different
gardens, much less half way across the country. On the other hand, I
would truly welcome a new hosta, any new hosta, that was totally lacking
of maintenance needs of any kind. While the new ones are great, though,
I have a special fondness of MANY of the old ones, deficient as they
well may be (in some gardens), and even if they need much maintenance. I
just like them, and I want to continue to grow them. When we lived in
Minnesota (30 years) we had absolutely the most spectacular borders of
Lancifolia around everything. I don't ever recall seeing slug damage on
them there, and the sight of hundreds of feet of them in bloom is one I
will never forget. As for the slug bait, when we see evidence of slugs
beginning here in the Mountains of North Carolina, where it is a much
damper environment than Minnesota, we begin to use a granular bait
(can't remember the name) because we don't want the dog to get tempted
to eat the pellets. This bait, by the way, is needed here much more to
keep slug damage to a minimum on Daylily blooms, than on the hostas.
Hope everybody has a good New Year.
John Lanier

NardaA@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/30/99 11:29:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> ranbl@netsync.net writes:

>  >Ah...lancifolia, I still look on mine with fondness,
>  >
>  >Later,
>  >Narda
>
>  >Narda
>  I always recommend "looking on lancifolia with fondness" early in the
>  season, as they soon become a "fond memory"  (Slugsyouknow!)
>  Ran
>  > >>

> Ran, as you are the hosta man with the expertise, I beg to differ with you
> sir.  My lancifolia looked great almost all last summer even though it was
> not on my watering list and suffered from the drought.  As for slugs, did you
> know that they make little pellets that you can put down to just do away with
> the things(heheheheeh). Narda

MissVitro Plant Tissue Culture Laboratory
John and Laura Lanier
Route 9  Box 908
Burnsville, NC  28714
(828) 682-4174