Re: Registration

At 05:50 PM 02/01/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>How long does it take to get a Hosta through the registration process?
>Floyd Rogers
>Northern Illinois Hosta Society
>Butterfield Gardens
>1-877-GRDN CTR
As I have registered many, I can , I hope answer your question.  But first
answer a couple for your self.  Do you have the new registration form?
Have you grown the plant untill you believe that you know the mature form
and size?  Have you had at least a three division plant come into bloom (on
all divisions)?  If so, have you done a flower count for typical bloom
numbers?  Did you keep a record of bloom time ? Do you feel confidant, that
the plant is a good garden "subject"?  Have you studied how it does in
verious locations in your garden and kept records?  Have you "tested" it in
any other gardens besides yours?  Do you know it it will set seed?  is the
seed viable? (will it germinate?)  Have you taken pictures of the leaf in
detail, so you can give accurate measurments, of length, width, petiole
length, and vein pair count?  Did you get a picture of the mature plant,
with some mode of showing hight and width?  If you have been able to answer
yes to all these questions, you can , no doubt, fill in the rest of the
questions on the form, and submit it.  From that point, (submittal) it
usually takes about four weeks to recieve confirmation of registration
acceptance----except right now--- due to the "push" by the AHS to get
registrations done, the registrar is , I understand , swamped.  I wouldn't
be surprised to fine ir will take several months right now.  any I am about
to submit around 14 new ones and that is going to slow the process even
more!  By the way, if you need help with any of this E me privatly and I
will be gald to do that.
Ran Lydell
Eagle Bay Hosta Gardens
10749  Bennett Rd.