Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #722

>Paul wrote: Some times too, if you induce dormancy early, the late season
bloomers (you
> must do it just Before they produce the scape) you can get them to bloom
in a
> few weeks in the spring

This sounds like a novel idea!  I understand from somewhere, way back when,
that hostas will go through their bloom period before they send leaves up in
the spring if for some reason the  bloom was terminated at the normal time.
Interesting.  The instance I am referring to, I believe, is a plant
purchased that had no doubt been divided for sale and the possible hormone
change did not allow for it to bloom at the regular time.  Therefore it
bloomed before the leaves appeared in spring.
Best Regards, Beth