Re: Re[2]: dtt

Beth and others,
It is not my intention to be argumentative, to criticise your opinion, nor
to proselytize.  I am a Ph.D. ecologist (note: does not necessarily equal
environmentalist) doing research on climate change effects, i.e., someone
who reads and becomes informed instead of taking someone else's word.
Carbon dioxide concentrations in the atmosphere are increasing, and global
temperatures are rising, at an exponential rate. The point is not that this
has never happened before, but that it has never occurred this rapidly,
without the time necessary for ecosystems to acclimate and adapt. Agreed
that termites, and cattle rumens and volcanos produce as much or more
carbon dioxide than human activity, the point is that before the Industrial
Age, the earth was quite capable of dealing with these perturbations. We
are the straw.

There are uninformed extremists on both sides of every issue. I only ask
that before you or anyone dismisses warnings about human effects on our
environment as "scare tactics," that you read more widely than the popular
literature and become truly informed.

  <snip> .... it is being used as one of the scare tactics our politicians and