Re: For you

    This was written by an 83-year-old woman to her friend:

    I'm reading more and dusting less.  I'm sitting in the yard
    and admiring the view without fussing about the weeds in the
    garden.  I'm spending more time with my family and friends and
    less time  working.  Whenever possible, life should be a pattern of
    experiences to savor, not to endure.  I'm trying to recognize
    these moments now and cherish them.

    I'm not "saving" anything; we use our good china and crystal
    for every special event such as losing a pound, getting the
    sink unstopped, or the first Amaryllis blossom.  I wear my
    good blazer to the market.  My theory is if I look prosperous, I
    can shell out $28.49 for one small bag of groceries.  I'm not
    saving my good perfume for special parties, but wearing it
    for clerks in the hardware store and tellers at the bank.
    "Someday" and "one of these days" are losing their grip on my
    vocabulary.  If it's worth seeing or hearing or doing, I want
    to see and hear and do it now.

    I'm not sure what others would've done had they known that
    they wouldn't be here for the tomorrow that we all take for
    granted.  I think they would have called family members and a
    few close friends.  They might have called a few former
    friends to apologize and mend fences for past squabbles.  I like
    to think they would have gone out for a Chinese dinner, or for
    whatever their favorite food was.  I'm guessing; I'll never know.

    It's those little things left undone that would make me angry
    if I knew my hours were limited.  Angry because I hadn't
    written certain letters that I intended to write one of these
    days. Angry and sorry that I didn't tell my husband and parents often
    enough how much I truly love them.  I'm trying very hard not
    to put off, hold back, or save anything that would add laughter
    and luster to our lives.  And every morning when I open my eyes,
    tell myself that it is special.  Every day, every minute,
    every breath truly is a gift.

    If you received this it is because someone cares for you.  If
    you're too busy to take the few minutes that it takes right now
    to forward this, would it be the first time you didn't do the
    little thing that would make a difference in your relationships?
    I can tell you it certainly won't be the last.  Take a few minutes
    to send this to a few people you care about, just to let them
    know that you're thinking of them.  "People say true friends must
    always hold hands, but true friends don't need to hold hands
    because they know the other hand will always be there."

    I don't believe in miracles.  I rely on them.