Re: SNOW! (the rest of my "story")

In a message dated 2/15/00 8:44:42 AM Central Standard Time, EntICE11@aol.com
writes:

<< And if we didn't grumble about it...somebody might think we like it. >>

(Darn!  I hit the send button before I was done...sorry to repeat myself)
I love the snow and almost always hope for more.  Mostly I want it to keep my
plants dormant long enough to not get hurt by late freezes, plus I have quite
a few marginally hardy plants.

Reading in the Asiatica (International Rare Plant Resource) catalog, it says:
"Consistent snow cover can add one to two zones, and mulching one-half to one
zone.  Don't try to push zones much on species listed as Zone 8"

That's a goooood reason to love snow, IMHO, because there are so many
wonderful plants that are listed as 1 or 2 zones colder than here and I want
them anyway.

Now why do they say that about Zone 8 plants???  Is there some reason that
mulching won't help them survive in a cooler climate?  like they can't handle
anything resembling a freeze?

Cindy Johnson
White Bear Lake, MN
zone 4a