Alfalfa Pellets X Files Version

From old robin  9/21/98
Hey Gang,

Here is another warning from the Queen of vole troubles.....if you think that
there is any possibility that you might have voles in your area, do not use
alfalfa pellets.  Ralph Keene used them as a soil additive and that began some
horrific vole problems!  The voles nearly wiped out his entire hosta
I have a house rabbit as a pet and was tempted to throw the stale rabbit food
on my garden until I saw how alfalfa drew voles to Ralph Keene's
hosta beds.
In the DelMarva newsletter Ralph retold how he set up vole traps and rebaited
them every 20 minutes all day long, while he watched the voles taking the

There must be another way of getting the nutrient benefit that alfalfa has, to
the soil in some other form.  Believe me, you don't want a vole infestation!

If you need the full blown CT episode it is in AHS journal 1997 Vol 28 #1  p.
Carol in Ct.  with a re-vole-ting problem.

Carol in CT z6/5