dividing mature hosta

Denise,if you divide a big old clump of a cultivar or species that is slow
growing, yes, it will set it back a bit and it will have to recover. but
for most aggressive growers, including fortunei, small ones like Golden
Tiara, Gold Drop, lemon Lime, etc the only determining factor in their
regrowth is moisture. If you keep them moist after dividing, they hardly
know what hit them

Hope that helps - I did present a seminar at the Hosta College several
years back that someone typed into the Cincinnati Daylilly/Hosta Society
web site,  that has more info. I will get the reference and give it to you.

     bruce