Re: A Timetable for Hosta Care

In a message dated 2/22/00 12:27:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
sussextreeinc@ce.net writes:

<< Narda,
 I have no idea what a little garlic powder would do for vole control.
 Maybe the mix of garlic, fish emulsion and alfalfa would give the voles
 such bad breath that reproduction would come to a stand still ;-)

Dan, we do not have voles here, that doesn't mean that we couldn't get them.
I have seen voles at other school land lab sites and I know what the damage
looks like.  I occasionally put down some blue pellets in the runs under
rocks but haven't seen much activity on that.  We do have shrews, which are
like moles in what they are after and that is grubs, worms, and big insects.
Also I understand that voles and shrews are natural enemies, so as long as I
have shrews then voles are not as big a problem on the horizon.

My major problem is the long eared cute and cuddly kind, the vermin called
rabbits.  Some of the new repellents are garlic based, and quite frankly I am
going to try everything this spring, Jane Milhorn's liquid fnece, garlic, .22
rifle, clubs, rocks whatever I can come up with.

Narda