Re: fixing up your soil

> Now that spring is here, I think (crocus are up, Daffs not far behind).
> What are some of the different ways soil is being amended? Also throw in
> natural fertilizers.
> Items I have used:
> Milorganite
> Compost
> Mulch
> perlite
> Items I plan to try:
> Alfalfa pellets(my pet rabbit will love me)
> Dog food---I know this one is original. I have a neighbor that buys
> broken bags of dog food and mixes it into the soil. The results are
> quite startling. Although she mainly grows annuals, they literally are
> solid color. Extremely healthy plants. this is an every year thing she
> does and it just keeps getting better. I can kind of understand how it
> helps as dog food would leave soft pockets in the soil and who is to say
> what the plants are drawing out.
> Ray

Interesting. I think the dog food would be good - unless you have a
problem with stray dogs, cats, skunks ( they love pet food - cat and dog
food, raccooons, and other wild creatures.
  I'd think that it would decompose like compost - grain products, meat
by-products, and all the other stuff in it is good for plants.