Re: fixing up your soil

Ray - I've been using alfalfa pellets for several years, and because we
have two cats and a dog (and unnumbered snakes) that are fierce hunters,
we actually have less problem with voles, moles, squirrels, and gophers
than we did several years ago.  We are out in the country, and try to
live in "harmony" with all kinds of critters.  I think the moles and
squirrels have no interest in the alfalfa pellets. The cats like to
present some of their kill for praise, so we know they get voles, moles,
and gophers; even an occasional squirrel--but not all of them!

I add alfalfa pellets to all the other soil amendments I use on my poor
sand-over-clay depleted farmland, before planting, and as a top
dressing, and even added some as a top dressing to one-leaved hosta
seedlings (the green "rejects") that I had transplanted to give the
streakers room to grow.  All have done very well.

Did learn this morning why people are unhappy about armadillos.  They've
done no actual damage before, just sort of tilled the soil around my
plants.  Last night, they got into my hosta beds and uprooted a lot of
two year old seedlings, and even dug around and under pots of hostas
buried in the soil!

Keeps life interesting??

Betsy