Re: fungus gnats

Another effective way to control the fungus gnat larvae is to use
insect-parasitic nematodes.  They are very effective and can provide longer
term control in the potted plants.  There are several suppliers of these
nematodes.  You can check this website for more
detail.  www2.oardc.ohio-state.edu/nematodes

At 09:43 AM 02/01/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Brian & Virginia,
>
>I have been VERY succesful with Neem Oil sprayed on seedlings and tc
>explants.  While it is not 100% effective, it appears to control about
>99% of them.  How do I monitor all this, you ask?  I have a yellow insect
>strip that I keep under the lights along with the plants.  If I see
>fungus gnats on the soil or plants, I spray them again.  If I notice a
>few more adults on the yellow strip, I spray again.  It appears that a
>once-a-week spray (which also includes Dyna-Gro's foliar fertilizer and
>"ProTeckt" (a soluable silicone product that improves leaf substance and
>decreases foliar dehydration) does a great job.
>
>The #$%&*#@ larvae and eggs are in the soils that you use to pot up the
>seedlings - or are in the soils in the pots you have brought inside to
>start up early.  Again for such pots, I spray them with the Neem Oil
>mixture immediately to get ahead of the problem.  While I still have a
>few fungus gnats at times, the problem is very minimal.
>
>Of course, Ran's approach is a great one for seedlings.  But if you bring
>plants (with soil) in from outside, you will begin the fight to control
>or eliminate the buggers.
>
>The Oxamyl approach sounds great - and I intend to give it a try.  Always
>seeking a better way.
>
>Charles Tuttle
>Columbus  OH

Parwinder Grewal