Fwd: Correction to my post on Patriot

EMAIL BELOW: FORWARDED TO HOSTAPIX & HOSTA-OPEN
---
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 09:27:29 -0500
From: Jim Hawes <hawesj@atlantic.net>
To: raffi@sympatico.ca, hawesj@atlantic.net
Subject: Correction to my post on Patriot
AND REGARDING: our discussions about Patriot and it's mutations of Loyalist
& Revolution being tetraploid by chromosome count?
JIM HAWES WROTE
Bill,
In my post to you re Patriot being a tetraploid, I mistakenly left out a
word. I meant to say " That does not mean that a tetraploid is better
than a diploid." This the essence of my opinion about polyploids in
general. There is much work and interest in the development of
polyploids because people think somehow that they may be better. I am
not convinced of this. In some cases this may be so, but it has not been
demonstrated to me with hostas yet. Therefore, I personally would prefer
to devote my limited time and resources to developing hybrids rather
than working toward better plants that are polyploids.
The reasons are obvious to me. First, one is not introducing new genes
by producing polyploids.. Second, the use of irregular numbers of genes
inherent in polyploids introduces the problem of uneven-ness of
homologous pairing off of chromosomes during meiosos which results in
sterility problems down the breeding trail. Thirdly, because of this,
hybridizing with polyploids will lead you to a dead-end in the breeding
possibilities. I would rather spend my efforts in a breeding strategy
which I know leads somewhere...i.e. introduction of new genes into
combinations not yet performed or developed., such as breeding species
and cultivars which are far apart in characteristics. By doing this, you
are combining the best dominant genes of both far apart
(morphologically) parents and you get the best dominant characteristics
appearing in the hybrid offspring... thus the introduction of
"heterosis" (hybrid vigor) in the F1 populations of future progeny.
Getting back to the possible history of Patriot and her two new sports,
I have a recollection that they all are derived from plants sent by
Falstad and Avent to Ben for measurement in his ( I mean Leiden
University's ) Flow Cytometer. I have not read his paper on this subject
because I simply am not interested in it. If Ben told them that they
have cytochimeras in some Patriot plants and it is true, then their
sports may have the same histological structure with some tissues being
tetraploid. The color changes of the tissues of the sports are most
likely DNA mutations of the plastids which are perpetuated as the
plants were tissue cultured.. So it boils down to the original
determination of the ploidy of Patriot...and I wouldn't swear on that at
all. But what does it matter, HUH? If the sports are good ones in demand
by hosta gardeners, they will sell no matter what their histological or
cytological structure.
Just a few opinions from
jimbo
You may quote me if you wish.....they are just opinions..
---
SUBNOTE FROM BILL NASH:
```````````````````````Firstly Jimbo, I needed your email of above; to
awaken me from a slumber-state dreamland: thinking that, a double
chromosomed hosta is better than a diploid; and of course, I concur with
you "It is not"!  To our dear 'WIZARD OF AWES' -- thank you for this
enlightenment? :)

<<offsubject= play on words>> *WIZARD OF AH's* a new hosta introduction by
Robyn Duback; available from www.robynsnestnursery.com <=> and this off
subject statement: was just put here to say "Ah'loves word-play"? LOL!

On the whole matter related to so-called & advertised *Tetraploid Hostas?*
(and there have been many!) I honestly can't see how & why Nurseries will
openly advertise a plant as being polyploid by it's chromosome count, when
no measurement or proof is ever given to verify this?  As a comparison,
this is like me trying to sell you a Cadillac, when in fact, the car you
are looking at is a Beetle, or vice versa? LOL!

Jimbo ...thanks again for your input

Bill

:-B))