Re: Bringing Hostas Indoors

Vicky,
In my opinion it is waaaaay to soon to bring them in. You could bring them in and force them but what will you plan on doing with them until May?  I have kept pots outside all winter with little problem. I would keep them in a shady area where they will not go through freeze and thaw cycles. Rest them at an angle so that they don't collect water when it thaws. Cover them with straw if they are frozen. The key is to cover them after they freeze. You don't want them to thaw to early. Around here the snow is a nice blanket after they freeze. If the snow melts around here I will cover mine with straw as well as any plant I put into the ground late in the season. No guarantees but it works for me.
Stuart
Alan & Vicky Cahanes wrote:
Hi Everyone, I have about 15 or so hostas that were left in therecontainers from last year that never got planted. I didn'tget outside and cover them with leaves or straw in timefor the first snow fall. Now I noticed that some of themare not covered with snow. What I want to know is canI bring the pots indoors and sit them in the heated basementin front of windows so they get light. They have been dormantsince November. I assume that's enough of a dormantperiod for them. If I bring them in, do I just let them thawout and start watering them. They won't get planted in theground until about June. Thanks,Vicky CahanesNew Richmond, WIzone 4a