Re: Future Hosta Market WAS Robyn's Nest Nursery dot com...

In a message dated 02/04/2001 8:43:49 PM Central Standard Time,
jspece@sbtek.net writes:

<<
 Personally, I am looking at it from trying to make a living at it.  When
 selling locally (which is mostly what I do) do you think you are more
 limited?  Obviously, there will be some collectors that will pay for
 more pricey plants, but most of the public isn't going to spend much on
 a single plant.  What are some other things that would be done
 differently in a local retail nursery than a mail order nursery?

 I'm also interested in more discussion on growing for landscapers and
 other resellers.  Jump in with any secrets you may have :)

 For the local market, My strategy for Hosta is divided in to two diffrent
directions.

I offer a lot of well grown smaller pots for $2 to $3, plants include those
that grow fast like August Moon, Green Gold, Francee, Golden Tiara,
lancifolia, Gold Standard.  Moon Light plus any others that can be divided
and produce a number of plants.  They go into 2.5 inch or so pots and sell
very well.
I might have a nice large one gallon Francee with five stems and people would
rather buy the smaller pots for $2.00 than the one gallon for 7.00

The other direction that I am heading is selling larger plants that are a few
years older at a premium price. These are grown in one or two gallon pots for
two years.
And make for a nice looking clump in the landscape the day they are planted.

Paul