Re: Tetraploids & Flow Cytometry

In a message dated 02/08/2001 2:50:39 PM Central Standard Time,
hawesj@atlantic.net writes:

<<
 Thanks for a thoughtful response from anyone who wishes to comment.

 Jim Hawes >>

 I think what sometimes happens is that people look at other plant groups
like Hemerocallis and Lilium and see what Tetraploids have done for them and
then expect the same thing to happen to all groups of plants.

I do not see this as happening in Hosta-since Hosta is already a polyploid
genus.
Tetraploids can only (most likely) lead to a dead end when it comes to
breeding in Hosta.

Since there is a rich genetic diversity all ready with in the group-we have
not exploited yet the full available variation by way of "normal" breeding.

Tetraploids in other groups of plants fall into two groups:

Plants are larger and stronger growing.

Plants are weaker and more susceptible to harsh climets/insects and
physiological impairment.

Since Hosta seem to have complex expression do to more than one way to
inherit genes that make up physical expression, I would imagine that IF
tetraploids exist-they may be chimerical in nature.

Paul