Re: Voles?

CBCTPLANT@aol.com wrote:

> Kent,
> It sure sounds like voles!  Get thee to a farm store like Agway and
> buy some
> bait called Just One Bite. It comes in 2 forms. One is in envelopes
> like
> mouse bait but the type that is better is in a hard bar. Get some PVC
> pipe
> long enough to stick up out of the snow and stay upright and sink it
> into the
> snow right above the vole activity. Drop one of the bars down the pipe
> and
> cover the opening of the pipe with a cup or coffee can. I may have a
> photo to
> illustrate this better. I'll post it to pixlist if I find it.
> Whatever you do...Get after them!
>
> Carol in CT z6/5

Carol,

Are there any natural controls for the critters?  i.e. hot pepper,
garlic etc that you might be aware of to make the area an unpleasant
habitat as opposed to poisoned bait?  I can't imagine there would only
be one 'area of activity', and that one would have to spread several of
these baits around the garden, at least.  What about toxicity to other
animals?  If for instance one has dogs (I do), that might get the bait
or the resultant corpse as an afternoon snack?