Re: seedlings etc

My Neem oil worked somewhat, but I ended up with a pretty good
infestation of fungus gnats.  Not damaging the plants much yet, and no
longer worsening.  Trays of seedlings treated several times with Neem
oil seemed to have stopped growing, but DIDN'T die in spite of fungus

Decided to try an experiment of my own based on others' input.  Of
course you couldn't do this with a very large batch of seedlings, and
I'm doing it a tray at a time and either sealing completely or keeping
the new trays away from the others until I get them all redone.

Bought new trays with domes.  Removed seedlings (even ones with a tiny
root and only one leaf partially unfurled) one variety at a time.
Washed seedlings in two separate washes of warmish water.  Wrapped them
loosely in paper toweling and transported them to the house.  Soaked
them a few minutes in a small amount of Listerine in warmish water.
Rinsed again in warmish water.  Had baked potting medium 2 hours or more
at 250, added small amount of sand in middle and on top, then poured
boiling water over all. Allowed to cool most of the way, draining on
newspaper. Replanted seedlings in still warm soilless mix.

Did this with my VERY BEST seedlings rather than more safely trying it
on ones that didn't matter (much).  The results are just short of
phenomenal.  Expected to lose 4 seedlings--one had no roots at all, the
other three were very white.  A little over a week later, all seedlings
are growing well except the very whitest one, which succumbed.  The one
with no roots is now firmly anchored.

Have now completed several other trays, and ALL seedlings are doing
well.  Seems to have stimulated growth even more than usual handling.  A
lot of work, but worth the effort to me.  Of course, I'm only treating
about 10 flats of seedlings.

Hope this is helpful.