Re: ploidy article & Blue Coloration question

> Hello Chick and the rest of the Hosta-open gang,

(Chick - please note that the "evening with Chick" listing has enjoyed a
bump.  I want to win so I can beat you up for pickin' on Ben so much.   :-)

At a WSM, perhaps in 1999, Ben Zonneveld made a presentation regarding blue
coloration in Hosta.  In that presentation, he hypothesized that this trait
was controlled via one gene and offered research findings that lend support
to his position.  I have no reason to doubt that this hypothesis could be
true but I am wondering if others have further advanced an investigation
into this hypothesis.  If I am guilty of living under a rock, then please
lambast me with URL's or publication references which address this question.

Also, during his presentation, Ben made a statement regarding the estimate
of how many genes were in Hosta and possibly how many base pairs.  I wonder
if anyone has tested this hypothesis further (got your ears on, Ben?) or
could provide additional information on this.

The questions:
1) Is the blue coloration really controlled by but one gene?
2) What do we know about the genome or proteome mapping of Hosta (beyond the
facts of chromosome counts in diploid, triploid, and tetraploid Hosta)?  Are
there references on the web, or in printed media, that address this question

I read Joe Halinar's article at http://www.open.org/~halinar/poly.htm and he
goes a long way toward helping to explain an approach of utilizing unreduced
gametes as a means for ploidy conversion.  This, however, was written about
10 years ago and I wonder where we are today?  I noticed that Brian Skaggs
recently concurred with Joe's statement so if Brian has his ears on, perhaps
he knows of other findings on this topic?

Chick--I finally found the listing at the First Look auction for this chance
to dine with thee and thine.  Now we're going to have some fun seeing who
gets to enjoy the pleasure of your company.  If I can't make the meeting,
can we just have this visit on the phone?  It's a long trip to Connecticut
from out here in Prairie Dog country... Lord knows I ought to go to every
Hosta function, especially ones that promise to be as good as this one.

Au Revoir and TIA for any answers to my questions.
Andrew Lietzow