Re: Hosta Auctions & photos

Hi Bob,
Unless one copyright's their work, if they freely publish it to the net or
circulate it via a list server, I don't believe that the work can be
protected.  Nor should the provider expect that it would be.  They freely
provided it and didn't add any caveats about using it.  The only thing
restraining people from utilizing such work is their moral perspective.  And
what is that--there are people who are critical of the Boy Scouts and think
their funding should be dropped because THEY are somehow immoral.  See what a
twisted world this has become?

No, unfortunately, we are now a country of laws and that is what protects us,
not someone's arbitrarily legislated morality.  One must utilize legal
copyright notices and take protective measures IF they intend to prohibit
others from utilizing what they appear to be trying to freely share, with no
strings attached.  When I send Hosta pics over the internet to Hosta friends,
I seldom think about protecting my interests, because others have been so kind
to share as well.  But like anything else of value, if you want to protect it,
you'll probably have to keep it under lock and key.  You probably have to
label it and I just don't take the time to do it.

Now in the case where you have posted a message at the Library that states
that the pics there are not in the public domain, that is a different story.
Fortunately, I made a decision (after my very first mistake of using a picture
of Blue Angel without permission--I asked AFTER the fact and got it) that this
was not kosher even IF it is legal.  It's the golden rule applied to life.

Good luck chasing these rascals down.  They need to buy a camera!

Andrew L.