Re: Hosta Questions!

In a message dated 02/17/2001 10:54:24 AM Central Standard Time,
samk52@alltel.net writes:

<< On to my questions.
 1.  Are Hosta Green Gold fertile? = They rarely form seed pods
 2.  Are they good breeders? = no, if they have seed its in such small amounts
 3.  Has there been a streaked Green Gold found? = I am sure there have been,
but do not know of common ones.
 4.  If so, could they, would they, should they be good breeders? = The only
real way to tell is to try it.
 5.  How long should a division be grown before it is allowed to set seed? =
If grown well, the first year should present no problems-assuming you get
seed.

 6.  How long should a plant be grown before it is determined to be stable? =
Three years at a min. some plants are never stable and in the case of
streaked plants what one looks for, I guess is unstable but uniform streaking.

 7.  How long should a plant be grown before it is registered? = are you
going to market it for selling? If so, then before you sell it.

  Most people around here think something is wrong with the plant so
 won't buy them.  = More or less me too.  Unless it looks good.

 I see them and want to shout for joy, but I don't.  I take
 it to the counter and calmly buy it.  When I get home I do the Happy Dance
 for my find. = This is one of the great joys of collecting plants, that odd
rarity.

 I know most of these finds are products of TC and someone has
 let them slip through their culling.  = Green Gold is not tissue cultured to
any great extent, it is a fast grower and multiplies quickly.  If I had to
lay odds on it-it was a field grown division from another field grown
division on back many years.

 Thanks for any help.
 IGLH >>

I hope it's helpful and we will see what other responses you get to.

Paul