Re: [hostapix] Sharing Spring...savoring winter

Narda wrote:
Lu, beautiful, how I envy you!  N.
To those of us that are chompin at the bit for spring to arrive, I thought I'd share some thoughts I heard at the local rock garden meeting today that might make you all feel better.  Our speaker was Dr. Harlan Finney, better known as Bud.  He's a retired professor of soil science at the U of M who said he's just a farm boy from Ohio.  He's lived up here in Minnesota for most of his adult life (or something close to that).  He claims that our area is the BEST place to garden in the country!

Why???  Here are some of the reasons he gave (this is the part that will cheer you up)....

We have 5 months off from gardening!
...to rest up....
to sit back and contemplate what we liked and didn't like about the last season, and have time to plan for the next season.  On top of that, being at the 45th parallel, when summer does arrive we have wonderful long days to enjoy it.  Top that off with the fertile soils of the midwest.

Now, doesn't that help you all feel better???

Bud said something else interesting.  He said there is no such thing as poor soil, but only poor soil management.

Keep sending those pix of spring Lu!  While I'm rushing to finish up my winter projects before the rush of spring gets here, it's goooood medicine for my soul to see what's coming our way.....some day!

Cindy Johnson
White Bear Lake, MN
zone 4a  (with temps in the single digits...either above or below zero)