DNA answers to Andrew

I try to answer some of Adrews questions and thanks for all those
that speak far more eloquently than I do about the ""money
<Are Hosta considered more ecologically
<adaptive because of the larger number of Chromosomes, .
It is the total amount that counts( and the intricate relationships)
more not in how many parts it is divided ( both human and guppies
have 2n=46!)

<2) The gene density per Chromosome varies from 3,825 to 6,543
<in A.Thaliana.  I presume that when you are doing a DNA
<Analysis with FlowCytometry, it really doesn't matter how many
<Chromosomes exist
Yes that is right

<Does it seem likely that Arabidopsis should become a new
<standard,, have you considered using this plant asa standard?
 I have tried to use it as a standard but the amount at first seems
too low ( 0,256 pg) for me to be of much help but I am looking now
at endopolyploidy

<3) Since knowing the sample AT/GC ratio is quite important when
<using DAPI
I dont use DAPI anymore for that reason , only propidium Iodide as
it is independent of the GC ratio

<4) Reading you Table 2, I see that H. fortuneii 'Patriot 1' has 27.7
pg<DNA per nucleus in 2C Chromosomes and 55.9 pg DNA per
<nucleus in 4C Chromosomes.   How do you go about splitting
<those types of cells up when you are doing this analysis?
I dont have to single them out look at the picture in the journal
about Patriot If more than one type of cells is present I do get the
corresponding number of peaks
<5) .  If H. 'Cheatin' Heart' has a
<tetraploid L3 and a diploid L1, does this help explain why my slugs
<start a major marjurita-induced dance party whenever I add more
<Mspecimens to the stock?  I don't suppose you know of a way to
<force the 4C cells up into the 2C tissues of the leaf--or a
<hypotheses of how one might go about accomplishing this
First I found recently that there are Cheatin Harts around that are
just plain diploids and those that are ploidy chimera , just like in
Patriot All those tetraploidy is I think induced in tc culture So just
bring you ploidy chimera in tc and you might get a fully tetraploid C
Hart  THe questions is : How to recognize them?

Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands