Re: english

In a message dated 02/23/2001 2:16:29 AM Central Standard Time,
zonneveld@RULBIM.Leidenuniv.nl writes:

<< Earlier I wrote something with the title:
 gram wise, pound foolish. I now realize that it should have been:
 penny wise, pound foolish . No one did say anything about it ( the
 title I mean!) Does this mean that it is an english but not an
 american expression?
 Ben J.M.Zonneveld >>

Here in the states we do not use the expression to much any more-most of us
do not now the English monetary system.

It would translate into "penny wise and Dollar foolish" here.

The expression of coarse means one is wise in the small details but foolish
when it comes to more important things.

A similar says goes" In for a penny, in for a pound" meaning that one has
committed ones self to what ever the outcome might be no matter the cost.

Paul