Re: Discussion on Origin of Sports

Jim, would you like the critique published as a letter to the editor or
refined into an article?

I remind everyone that in Volume 31, Number 1, on page 72, I stated the
following:

"I am a firm believer in the theory that knowledge grows from a dialectic
process, in which someone posits a theory or thesis, which is then either
proved or disproved through the use of scientific method. The result, which
some call the antithesis, results in the development of knowledge. (I like to
simplify this process as: thesis + antithesis = knowledge.) Thus, there may
well be some observational presentations in The Hosta Journal with which you
disagree. It is my hope that this disagreement instills in you the desire to
provide your own proof (or theory) and an explanation of how that proof was
derived, so that we all might benefit from this sharing of information and
reach our own conclusions."

In this vein, I encourage the discussion that Jim is beginning.  I am
attempting to contact Kevin Vaughn so that, at the very least I can forward
materials to him for comment.  In the past, he has requested that his
involvement be only in a review and comment mode and has asked confidential
treatment of e-mail and phone numbers and I intend to respect the request he
has made of me to not divulge them to anyone under any circumstances.

Kevin P. Walek