Re: Discussion on Origin of Sports

> Yes, but here is my question - Do I now have the original Elegans that
> Great Expectations sported from?  If by some chance I could get a
> plant of THE original plant, would that plant and my plant be the
> same.  What's the difference if someone that propagated THE original
> Elegans and I had a copy of that plant via asexual propagation and
> someone propagated GE and then along the line the L2 layer, the
> mutated layer, was replaced by the original genome to give back an
> Elegans plant.
> Joe Halinar

    I would say that in 99 out of 100 cases they would be the same, that the
original tissue had returned
to the center and nothing else had changed. I was making the point that we
should not jump to the  conclusion that the 100th one would be too. The main
point I am trying to make is that occasionally when we see a plant sport,
more than one thing changes. In the great majority, nothing appears to
change but the color, excepting an understandable adjustment in vigor. These
are the chloroplast mutations that have given us most, but not all of our
attractive garden sports, and their descendants (daughter- sports). Although
I have not seen enough to reach any conclusions about actual percentages,
there is a number of cases where a second change, not necessarily concerning
leaf color, has occured at the same time. If you had a 1000 'Great
Expectations' (as a large nursery might) and you saved every apparent
reversion and grew them on, you probably would find one or more with some
other mutated characteristic, like twisted scapes, or a change in bloom
time, or changed  vigor. The number of times a second change (other than
color) occurs seems higher than it should be rated against similar mutations
in plants that have not changed color. Again I have seen enough of these to
notice the phenomenon, but not enough to reach any conclusions about
percentages. I wanted to bring it up in this discussion as a reminder that
while the chloroplast mutation plants are the majority, every sport is not a
simple c-m sport. Dr. Zonneveld has, in his articles, indicated that sports
can easily fit into a few categories. My experience has been that while most
fit into categories, there are always a few wild-cards that defy
categorization, and we should be wary of over- simplifying. I also wanted to
make the point that if we only consider attractive and distinctive sports we
have our gardening hats on, not our scientific- curiosity hats.
    I have included a photo of a sport that I found labelled 'Golden Tiara',
to make this point. The green tissue in the center of the leaf appears to be
the same color as the green of a normal plant, but grows much slower. It
looked like this when I found it, so I do not know its history, but it is
clearly a multple change from the original all-green or all-gold seedling
that gave rise to the Tiaras.

Ribbon Tiara.jpg