Re: Discussion on Origin of Sports

In a message dated 02/27/2001 10:40:35 AM Central Standard Time,
njhosta@hotmail.com writes:

<<  The green tissue in the center of the leaf appears to be
 the same color as the green of a normal plant, but grows much slower. It
 looked like this when I found it, so I do not know its history, but it is
 clearly a multple change from the original all-green or all-gold seedling
 that gave rise to the Tiaras. >>

You have an interesting looking plant-but from what I can tell from the
picture it looks like the green part grows much better than the surrounding
tissue.  The texture differences seem consistent from the results of poor
phtsynthince output.
I do not see any thing that demands multiply mutations, diffrent colored
tissue often grow at diffrent rates. Also when certain pigments are lacking
dermal tissue can respond differently to protect the leaf from harmful types
of light by thickening up.
 Leaf texture can be a purely physolgial response to the missing types of
pigments needed by the plant t protect its self.

Paul