Hosta business

Andrew:

Over the last few days you have been making some comments about your
hosta business and engaging in an interesting discussion.  I have to
commend you for your desire to build up a business, but I wonder if
you understand the pitfalls of what you are doing.  Sure, it's nice to
have a healthy business, but you seem to want to grow the business
QUICKLY and make it big; I assume you are looking at a business within
a short time grossing at least a quarter million dollars a year in
sales.  I hope, good Democrat liberal you are, that you undrstand that
the harder you work to build your business, the more the government
steals from you as taxes - maybe you will finally learn what
progressive means!

The way I see it, there are mainly places for two types of business in
the nursery industry - either a small scale, mostly one person
operation with limited capitalization or a large operation doing
millions of dollars of business, many employes and high
capitalization.

Once you highly capitalize your business, then you basically become an
employee of the bank that lends you the money to operate the business.
You need constant income to pay for employes.  You don't build up this
kind of operation within a few years without a LOT of money being
spent, and then you still have to compete with all the existing
businesses.

You say you want to grow 500-600 different hostas.  Why?  Waldenwest,
just down the road from me, has quite a large number of hostas in
their catalog and some of them are in quite good supply, but some of
the hostas just don't sell.  Just because you have a large collection
doesn't mean that you will be selling them, but they will still be
taking up space and effort to grow them.  If you really want to
develop the business you are really looking at the wholesale and
landscape market.  With careful selection I suspect you could make as
much money growing maybe 50 hostas at most as you can growing 600
hostas.  Hosta people might be impressed with a list of 600 hostas,
but the average backyard gardener will probably end up getting
frustrated reading the same description for different plants.

Joe Halinar